Thursday, April 11, 2013

Life As A Single Dad

I (Matt) want to take a minute to let you know how I am making it here as a single father of 2. One word.... family support. Ok, I guess that is two words. Anyways, our journey as foster parents isn't about just us. If you are thinking about fostering, or having children in general, you need a solid support system.

I am still making it here in Memphis with two children, but not without the help of our family. I have been blessed to have in laws and parents who love and care for our children as much or more than we do. And I am going to go out on a limb and say that our kids may love them more than they love us, haha. There is NO way I could do this by myself. I am thankful for in laws who took the kids for the first 9 days to allow me to rest up for what was to come. They took the kids to the park as well as other places and set aside what they had planned for their own lives not just for those 9 days, but for the last 8.5 months. These kids are their first grand children and they could care less that they weren't conceived by Tiff and I, much less that they are a different race. It is unbelievable the way they have taken these kids in.

Then, there is my parents. My parents were foster parents for 20 something years, and raised me around the foster care system. They get it! They have allowed me to spend the night over there during the week, so that I can get up and go to work at 5:00 AM in the morning without having to get the kids up and drop them off. It may have something to do with the fact that they don't want me knocking on the door at 4:45 AM, haha. But, if I needed them to, I know they would do it. They keep the kids on Wednesday night so I can ride with the homeless bike ministry, and Thursday night so I can go to my missional community (small group). They will also keep them in a moment's notice if I need them to if something comes up. For instance, a dear friend of mine, what I would call a brother, is going through a hard time and is broken and hurting. I asked Mom if she could keep them so that I could share life on life with him and help carry his burdens. No questions, no problem. His wife has decided she wants to leave, and tonight I had the chance to have some good spiritual conversation with him about what he is going through. He sent me a text asking what I was doing. I immediately left where I was at and met him at my house. I am praying for him and ask that you do the same.

All this to say, we couldn't do it without the help of our family. My wife has been given an incredible opportunity, one she will likely never have again, and our families have stepped up to make it happen. The gratitude I have them for is only paralleled to the love that Christ has for us. And for that, I am forever grateful! Thank you Jeff, Darlene, Bri and Mom and Dad. We owe you big time!!!!!!

-Matt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, way to make your MIL cry!! We love you all!!!