Sunday, March 11, 2012

PATH Class Begins

I (Matt) have not contributed much yet, ok,at all, but I wanted to share my thoughts after our first PATH class yesterday. PATH stands for Parents as Tender Healers, and is a class required by the state of TN to become foster parents or to adopt. Yesterday was the orientation, and it lasted a little over two hours. It mainly was an overview, and a LOT of paperwork. Our instructor is from the University of Memphis, and was pretty entertaining. All in all, it wasn't too bad. Although we did think we were lost, but a quick phone call to my dad confirmed that we were in the right place, in the middle of this shopping center in between the wig shop and the library..... Interesting.

More importantly, I wanted to share with you my observations and my opinion on adoption and orphan care. As Tiffany and I sat in the room assessing our surroundings and the other people in our class, I noticed a few things. There were people in there who looked like I might trust them with my child, and some who I would have said no way. I know I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but it was hard not to make impressions the first time I saw them. There were people of all different races and sizes. One couple stood out to me in particular, at least I think they were a couple. He was an older Vietnam veteran, and she was in very poor health. I asked myself if I thought she could take care of herself, much less a child. I know that may be wrong to do, but being in the health and fitness industry, you notice things like this every day. I will be honest with you and say that I asked myself if the state of TN was really going to approve this family to take care of children?

Fast forward to church this morning, I couldn't help but be distracted during the message. This morning they sang a song titled "No Orphans of God". All I could think about was this couple in our class, and the reasons people have for participating or not participating in some facet of orphan care. You see, I thought, and still do think that this lady can probably not take care of herself and a child, but you know what....she was willing to step up and try.

Now the lesson this lady has taught me and doesn't even know it, is that this can apply to orphan care, adoption and just our every day walk with Christ. So many people have so many excuses, and that is exactly what they are, excuses. This lady probably has a legitimate excuse, yet she is there to help take an orphan off the street. How many of you out there have ever thought about adoption or foster care, but came up with "excuses"? Where do you put your time and efforts? Now, I really enjoy running, especially on the trails. It burns me up inside when I see trash someone has thrown on the trail. Does it do the same to you to know that there are thousands of orphans in the city of Memphis, and that most people do nothing about it? So many people say they are pro life, and against abortion, but yet do nothing for the mothers who do choose life, and get it right, and decide to have the baby.

As we continue through our adoption journey, I ask for your prayers. But also I ask that you look at yourself and ask if you care about taking children who are fatherless, and helping them in some way, whether it be adoption, foster care or through a monetary donation. It is time to quit talking about it, and it is time to start doing something. I am sorry for the rant, I just choose not to sugar coat what God has laid on my heart...my passion for fatherless children.

-Matt