After PATH we went out to each lunch with a young couple. They suggested Fresh Slices and we agreed because Matt and I have been wanting to try it out. It was such a beautiful day so we sat out on the porch!
It was such a positive fellowship time. We did not want the lunch date to seem like Matt and I were interviewing them. Matt and I are genuinely interested in establishing a relationship and learning more about them. We ended up being there for over an hour and a half.
What we learned about them:
Both of them love Jesus, go to church in Frasier, and are trying to seek God's will for their life.
The husband works full-time at the corporate offices for Enterprise. To make a little extra money and get a discount, he works at Dicks Sporting Goods.
The wife does commercial real estate and is able to work two days from home but puts in many/many hours of work.
I was under the impression before starting PATH, they were not 100% committed to state fostering/adopt program. I think they signed up for the PATH Class to just find out more about it. It is saying something though for them to have returned for the third week. Some of the information presented in PATH would quickly turn families away who were not 100% committed.
Sometimes I think the instructor gives the worst possible scenario to try and weed people out, which is probably not such a bad idea.
We told them about Matt and I (probably more than they ever wanted to know) and where our heart is. It probably was a little overwhelming, but they seemed very receptive and understanding.
We let them know we desired to have another young couple as a support system because we would be going through the process together. Neither family has any children, 3/4 of us are 30 yo, we know nothing about raising children, nor are we prepared, and so forth (our stories are very similar in many regards)
We explained how we have resources for them (such as Matt's parents) and people who have been "resource parents" for a long time. I think it was encouraging for them to hear they potentially had a support system.
Neither one of them have family/friends around them who have had experience with fostering/adopting so I think it will be a positive thing.
Looking forward to getting to know this sweet couple better. Matt and I are hoping they want to be friends with us as well. Hopefully we did not scare them off too bad......
No comments:
Post a Comment