Friday, August 23, 2013

Thankful for a protective Father

My 2002 White Chevy Cavalier has been a reliable car for about 9 years. My parents bought it for me when I turned 16. Regardless of the 200K miles, a huge dent in the hood, and a missing hub cap, it got me from point A to point B with never much money ever invested into the car other than new tires. For that, I am grateful.

Wednesday evening at about 5:30 pm, I was driving home on the interstate from running an errand after work. Right at the Sycamore View exit, cars in front of me started throwing on their breaks for no noticeable reason coming to nearly a complete stop. I, thankfully, was able to slam on my breaks quick enough not to hit the car in front of me but it was a close call. Immediately, I looked in my rear view mirror and saw a LARGE vehicle coming at me that was not slowing down. I braced myself for the collision. I had my seat belt on so it only made my head jerk forward and then back against the head rest. It was enough of an impact that it through my sunglasses off my face onto the dashboard.

It was only a 2 car collision with only 2 people involved. We moved to the shoulder of interstate and waited for the police to arrive to write a report. Other driver had insurance and was extremely kind. She felt horrible and knew it was her fault but claimed there was nothing she could do in time. Neither one of us was hurt significantly. I have some whip lash in my neck and headaches but I am good. The wreck could have been much worse with much more people/cars involved so I know God was protecting me.

I knew by looking at my car that it was not salvagable. Several people have asked if I am sad about my first and only car being totaled, and I am really not. Matt and I have needed two new cars but had agreed we would drive both until a new car was absolutely needed. And now may be the time....

The other driver's insurance has been extremely kind and helpful and very cooperative. I was in a rental by Friday morning and Matt dropped the cavalier off at a car shop to determine the extent of the damage. We are pretty certain the car will be deemed "totaled."  According to Kelly blue book, my car is only worth between $750-1500. The damage to the car is pretty extensive; although still drivable. 

We have looked briefly online and went to a few car dealerships Saturday morning. We are not in a rush and would love to find "the perfect deal." If you know anyone saleing a vehicle with a third row, low miles, reasonably priced, please keep us in mind. 



No comments: