I fell in love with this little girl on my very first trip. Her name is Hannah, and she has a smile that would light up a room. She speaks English better than you and I, as well as several native dialects. She was born with brittle bone disease. I cringe at the thought of her health deteriorating. Her lungs will eventually cave due to pressure from her abnormal bones. My prayer is she does not suffer and goes to be with Jesus peacefully when the day comes.
Out of numerous patients I have been following at St. Jude with my preceptor this past week, she chose a patient without knowing anything about him to be my patient to take care of. When I started reading his history, he is from Guatemala! Coincidence? I think not!! God is Good!
His family had just been home to Guat and was back for more chemo and bone marrow transplants. I am looking forward to taking care of him this month.
This morning in service, Faith commissioned a group leaving very soon to travel to Guatemala to minister in orphanages and build homes in the villages. Oh how my soul longed to be going with them. Matt's mom will be traveling at the end of the month with a group and Matt will be going at the end of the summer. Be praying for their trip, the hearts of the people, and the ministry team.
I am excited for both of them but wishing I was going as well!
The third reminder was a purchase made in Guatemala on Matt and I's behalf by his mom and dad (with the help with Ryan J. and Matts brother Jonathan). The very first trip to Guatemala Jane had seen a wicker, hand-made bassinet set up at a store on the side of the road. She told me several years ago future grand babies would be sleeping in the beautiful bassinet! With the possibility of a little one sleeping in our home soon, she kept her word and we now have it sitting in the baby room.We may be miles away from Guatemala, but we have a piece of handiwork to admire on a daily basis.
Jenna and Jonathan, dont worry,,,,,it will be ready for you to use whenever the time comes!! :)
Jane had a great idea of writing every child's name who uses the bassinet on the bottom of the mattress to be a reminder to Matt and I of every foster child who enters our home.
My heart is heavy and I just wanted to share a little of my connection with Guatemala.
Matt and I pray often for the country and would love for you to join with us!