Monday, February 20, 2012

Bethany, the state, or both?

One Sunday afternoon, Matt and I were relaxing and enjoying the afternoon. Matt planned to grill chicken for dinner and I asked Matt if he wanted to invite his parents over to eat with us. Even living in the same city, we do not see Matt's family near as much as we would like. We thought it would be a GREAT opportunity to spend some quality time as well as tell them our great news!

Sitting around the dinner table, Matt informed them we had some news to tell them. I am sure they immediately thought we were expecting, but Matt informed them we had started the adoption process. We were SHOCKED at the reaction. Jane started immediately crying saying she could not have been more happier if he would have told her I was pregnant. It was a VERY emotional moment because none of us, including Matt, were prepared to be brought to tears.

Matt's parents were the first of family and friends to know for several reasons. Matt's parents have had their fair share of foster children as well as their own adopted child, Allen. Matt's dad works for the state as DCS worker. We knew the two of them would be able to answer questions for us and help us in our journey. We wanted their support from the beginning. They were so very open and willing to share. They gave Matt and I great insight in what to expect during the process and how to prepare.

One suggestion Jane made resonated with us. She asked us if we had considered going through the state to adopt. Neither Matt or I had really considered it before this point. After discussing details and what to expect with the state, Matt and I decided to pursue this route as well.
The state does not move very quickly in the beginning, but there would be a good chance we would have a child soon after the preliminary process was complete.

For now, Matt and I have decided to continue the journey with the state. We may decide to broaden the options in the future, but for now we are going to try and remove children from the foster care system.

Matt and I will attend the PATH class every Sat in March. We are looking forward to this in order to get the process moving. More to come once we attend the class!

No comments: