Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Fostering positive behavior (DCS style)

Part of being a resource parent includes being willing to have on-going training (so many hours per year) provided via the state.
Online courses are an option for select hours but a majority must be done by actually attending a class.
Saturday was Matt and I's first experience at a training class.
Title as you can assume was "fostering positive behavior."

The morning started with dropping babies off at Lolli and Pops. We were sad to leave them because they were both in the best mood. Probably the most playful and happy they had been in over a week due to sickness.
Matt and I took advantage of a breakfast date and went to cafe eclectic (which is where Mercy Hill meets Sunday evenings: SUPPORT LOCAL RESTAURANTS)
Matt can now say he has had chicken and waffles. He is a true southerner and even more a "Memphian."
I went with the homemade yogurt with granola and fruit as well as homemade biscuit to try out the strawberry jam. It was all super yummy! My first time having the coffee they serve was last Thursday, and I am quite impressed so of course I had some to go to make it through the class.

We arrived at Lebonheur for the class with little time to spare (assuming it would start at 9 am) but it was more like 9:30 before class actually started. About 6 other people were there other than Matt and I. It was an interesting group for sure.

A majority of the class is video scenarios with discussion after several video clips. The video of course was filmed in late 80's/early 90s; extremely cheesy; extremely unrealistic (nothing we have experienced has occurred quite like the video says it should); and mostly about keeping a crisis from becoming a full blown CRISIS.

I really liked the teacher. She works for DCS and drives from Jackson to teach a majority of the classes.

Matt and I, as usual, did not agree with everything being presented. However, it was interesting to hear perspectives from others in the room.
Unfortunately I realize why so many teenagers, college students, and young adults who have spent many years in the system, have no idea how to function in the real world. Most of them use their past as an excuse and never move forward. I think it is because so many times "negative" behavior is encouraged (in my opinion) throughout the process. When you are an adult with a real job, you cant have a break down on a regular basis and expect to keep your job long.

Probably one of the few things we took away from the class was that if you cant financially afford to keep your light bill on, then taking responsibility for 2 four year olds and a set of 6 month twins just because they are your grandkids probably isn't the most ideal situation.The lady had NEVER done laundry before until 2 weeks prior and she was probably in her 60s (she said someone always did it for her)

It was also confirmed for Matt and I that no one is really prepared when you get that phone call to pick up a baby. Everyone in the class had very similar stories. (you may need diapers, formula, wipes, a few sets of clothes the kid can wear, car seat for a short amount of time, etc).

We also were awakened to what resource families (especially kinship) expect the state to do for them. Matt and I's expectations from the state are far different from many others. I don't expect the state to provide our every need for the babies such as bassinets, car seats, blankets, diapers, clothes, wipes, etc but I do expect the employees of the state to be efficient, do their best, be professional and respectful,  invest in the children and resource families, make an effort to resolve conflict, etc.

Just wanted to give a glimpse into what a class is like for families in the process of being resource parents. We have several more hours to obtain and although the actual classes may not be very beneficial, I think what we learn from others is useful.




No comments: