This weekend was busy but fun as usual.
Friday afternoon we ran to the park and through frisbee.
Followed by trip to farmers market to buy fresh fruit and veggies.
Then, we ran some errands to prepare for small group get together Saturday night.
We were trying to come up with something to do together Friday night and we ended up settling for a night out for dinner at Firebirds. We love going to eat there and it had been way too long! We actually split the peppercorn steak, which was def "out of the box" for us.
Afterwards, we met up with Allen who was both house sitting and baby sitting. Allen is not your most typical bachelor 24 year old guy. I would trust him with my home, my kids, my dog (if I had one) etc. You are one impressive guy Allen and proud to call you my brother in law!
Saturday morning Matt had to work for hour or so. I got a good Sat morning run in. Surprisingly, it was not extremely hot and humid.
I had a lovely bridal shower to attend for my BIG BROTHER in pharmacy fraternity in the morning. She gets married this fall. She will be a beautiful bride and I am looking forward to the wedding!
When I returned home, Matt and I went on a day date.
This was not your typical day date.
We had found giftcards from when we married with random amounts ranging $1.00 to $30.00 so out we went to use them.
First stop, Lowes:
We got two camping chairs, which we've needed our own for ballgames, picnics, camping etc.
We purchased a water hose and water spout. We have been using the one the previous homeowner left and the poor hose was starting to rust and crack.
Next stop, Home depot:
We purchased a bottle of spray paint to complete a decorating project I started months ago turning someone's old to new. See pic below. These will be hung up on wall behind kitchen table.
I will be stopping at Starbucks this week to use my remaining amount on Starbucks gift card.
We stopped at bed bath and beyond to replace my tervis tumbler lid. I had a few extra dollars on a gift card to buy a new one.
I love this tumbler and was so sad when I dropped it and cracked the lid. If you have one, and the cup or lid cracks, take it to bed bath and beyond for replacement. The tumblers have life time guarantees so they replace for free; no questions asked.
We also stopped at Salvation army and new thrift store in Bartlett "Helping People God's Way"
HPGW facebook page
The later thrift store opened about 8 months ago. The store operates on donations. Every month, the store donates profits to three local ministries, some of which Faith Baptist is involved in as well.
We found some random but good stuff! Dad you will be getting a nice little gift for your 50th bday from here!! haha
At salvation army is where the best deal of the day was found!
A BRAND NEW (or so it seems) sun beam bread maker. Strange, I know. But I love to bake, and I have wanted a bread maker since we married but didnt want to pay for one, nor did I figure it very practical. But for $25.00 and pretty much never been used (even still had the recipe book with it), I knew it was meant for me.
So Sunday afternoon, we went by Kroger and used yet another gift card with a random amount to purchase yeast and bread flour and raisins to make cinnamon raisin bread.
For my first loaf, not too shabby!!
It def needs more cinnamon. I even added more than recipe called for because we love cinnamon but still was not enough!
Matt liked it though, so it was well worth it!
Saturday evening we had a great time fellowshiping at the Nortons home for small group!
The Nortons cooked some awesome meat and everyone brought great food! I made 5 BOXES of kraft mac and cheese! It was way too much for even 20-25 people!
The kids loved playing in lil swimming pools. And it was just fun hanging out for a few hours.
Sunday after church, we went to eat lunch with some friends we had not seen in months! It was good catching up and enjoying each other's company.
We returned at church at 4:30 for "Engage Memphis"
Matt and I are burdened for the city we live in and you should be as well. I dont love being in Memphis, but I do have a passion and love for the people who live here. Next time someone says something negative about Memphis, stand up for the city you live in. There are Good things, God things happening in the city of Memphis.
The statistics they discussed are almost unreal.
Over 60% of Memphis is African American race; however, 35 different people groups live in Memphis and surrounding cities. By the international mission boards standards, some of these people are considered an "unreached ppl group."
147 reported murders with over 30 being gang related in 2011. (BTW, this is only "reported.")
63-70% are lost in the city of Memphis.
2 school districts will end up being 5 different districts when its all said and done due to politics. Christians should be encouraging unity, not disunity.
I could go on and on with stats but you get the picture. These stats are only numbers and there are people behind these numbers. They need to hear of Christ's love.
The only avenue by which this city will improve or turn from the wickedness is through Christ. How do they know about Christ unless someone tells them?
Matt and I plan to get involved in urban city ministry. Memphis kind of scares me, but it's a healthy fear. It is not a fear that will keep me from spreading the good news to those who need to hear it.


No comments:
Post a Comment