Saturdays class was on "culture."
The state is very concerned about not demeaning the child's culture. And culture goes farther than ethnicity.
Our instructor constantly says, "DO NOT take everything about the child away from the child." Basically do not try to mold the child to fit into your culture. If the child is hispanic, try and incorporate the foods of the culture into the child's diet. If the child is African American, encourage he/she to be proud of cultural history.
Because Matt and I may have the opportunity to foster many different cultures, I plan to try hard to learn more about the culture the child came from. It will be a steep learning curve because history was not the most interesting subject to me during school.
Matt and I will try to pass this information on to the child so he/she can know about the culture's history.
Saturday was also breakfast day, but Matt and I had no idea it was taking place. The instructor called many of the families the week prior requesting they bring food item, but we did not get a phone call. Therefore, we did not contribute to the food, and I felt kind of bad about it. Matt always looks for a good excuse to make sausage balls. It would have been the perfect opportunity.
After the class, we went to lunch with our friends we met in the PATH class. We ate at trolley stop! Local restaurant loved by all! Our friends had never been so we wanted them to experience the great, fresh, food!
Matt and I both got the regular: pizza for him and grilled chicken wrap for me.....You can never go wrong!
Saturday afternoon I spent studying..........no fun! I had two tests this week on the same day. I was reminded how thankful I am to be on rotations and not in class studying for tests all the time. This month I have been on "electives," so I have had two classes. I will be ACLS certified after this month (I will be certified to respond to codes in a hospital setting) and I am taking a pediatrics elective. Hopefully the pediatrics elective will be helpful for the near future when we have a lil one at our house.
Only two more weeks and I return to St. Jude!
Looking forward to our last PATH class on Saturday and our "interview" with the instructor in the afternoon.
No comments:
Post a Comment