Tuesday, April 10, 2012

3 down, 2 to go

This is a little late but just a quick update on the last PATH class before Easter weekend.

The topic for the last class was discipline.
The morning went a little like this:
We had a substitute instructor for the morning which was fine. Matt and I enjoyed her and she did a good job.
The family causing so many issues during the second week missed the "respect every one's time" speech; therefore it was a repeat of the second class (maybe not to the same degree as before). But the new instructor did not know to reinforce the issue because she was not aware of what happened in previous classes.

I have to be honest and say I was a bit annoyed before I ever walked into the PATH class. I have tried to maintain a positive attitude the last few weeks, but I was not looking forward to sitting through another "unhelpful" class. Because of my negative attitude, it probably was not as bad as it seemed

But the topic was interesting because we discussed many scenarios of when a child would need to be disciplined.....
Such as a 3 year old pulling a whole sink off the wall......
I would think this would be common sense of the child needing discipline, but apparently it has happened and needed to be voiced as an example.
Other scenarios included disobeying, talking back, not following the "posted" household rules, and so forth. (The Nason household rules will be posted soon)

Then we discussed what not to do, such as physical punishment. Many of the children coming into the system have been physically abused (beatings, not spankings); therefore, in order to build the child's trust, discipline must not be physical.
We were told to use time out as a "chill out/cool off" time instead of as the punishment. 

MY BIGGEST  CONCERN WAS THAT WE DID NOT TALK ABOUT THE PROPER "STATE" WAY OF DISCIPLINING. Only the last 15 minutes of a 3 hour class was set aside to discuss correct ways of disciplining. What I learned about the proper ways to discipline was not from the class, but from the weekly handbook and homework. The written information the PATH class provides is very helpful, the actual classes are debatable.

Leaving the PATH class, I was relieved to know we would have a two week break. I needed this time to re-focus my perspective on the classes and re-gain my positive attitude.

As we prepare to attend the 4th class of PATH this coming weekend, pray for positive attitudes and an informative last two weeks!

No comments: